Fullers Law REDUCED Family paper cutouts Website photograph

Bedford Office: 01234 343134

Northampton Office: 01604 824474

Hitchin Office: 01462 759770

Letchworth Office: 01462 759770

Milton Keynes Office: 01908 849919

Kettering Office: 01536 384034

St Albans: 01727 789014

Hemel Hempstead: 01442 282019

Luton: 01582 638954

Bletchley: 01908 849919


Email: enquiries@fullersfamilylaw.com

Follow us on Twitter facebook untitled

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are listed some of the questions that we are frequently asked.




Q: Why should I choose Fullers Family Law Practice?


A: We are a specialist Family Law firm of solicitors. That is all we do. All our personnel work exclusively in the field of family law, some specialising in children, others in money and property.


  • We are good at what we do.

  • We belong to Resolution, an association of Lawyers who subscribe to a code of practise that tries to resolve family disputes in a non confrontational way and with particular emphasis on the effect on the children.

  • Your family matters to you … and to us.

  • We will help you manage an often very difficult situation in a sympathetic way with a view to reducing the stress on you and your family.

  • We are friendly, open and approachable.

  • We promote alternative methods of resolving your dispute via mediation or the collaborative law process  


Q: What do you charge?


A:   We offer a range of fee structures to suit our clients including fixed and capped fees and pay as you go as set out under the fees tab. Our hourly rates depend upon the status and experience of the person with responsibility for your work.


Q: Can I receive monthly bills rather than face a huge bill every three or four months?


A:   Yes. You will be given an estimate of the likely cost at the outset and we will update that at regular intervals. We expect all our client’s to pay their bills promptly and you will be billed monthly. You can pay your monthly bill by cheque, bank transfer or credit or debit card.


Q: Do Fullers have an Equality and Diversity Policy?


A: Fullers promotes equal opportunity of all,  both for our personnel and clients respecting and valuing differences to improve delivery of our services. A copy of our Equality and Diversity Policy is available on request.


Q: What is Mediation?


A: Mediation is not marriage guidance or counselling. Mediation is where a neutral person (often a specially trained lawyer) assists couples who are separating resolve their differences by talking through the different options with them.


Q: What are the grounds for a divorce?


See under 'Our Services' information on Divorce.


Q: What happens about the children?


A:   As part of the divorce process, where there are children involved, the person filing the petition

( petitioner) will have to complete a form to tell the Judge what the arrangements are in respect of any children under the age of 16. The judge has to be told that satisfactory arrangements are in place in respect of the child or children. The court always puts the welfare of the children first.


Q: Is it always necessary to go to court to resolve money and property issues?


A: No. Asking the judge to decide how the fruits of your marriage are to be divided should be the last option. We encourage all our clients to try and reach an acceptable compromise without proceedings. This will mean either referring the parties to mediation or negotiations through solicitors.


Q: What happens if we can’t agree who should look after the children?


A: If there is a dispute over where the children should live or whom they should live with, then the Judge will decide. This should be the last option and before starting proceedings, we would recommend that you attempt to resolve the issue through mediation.


Q: What orders can the court make in relation to the children when there is a dispute?


A: This depends upon whether the parents were married to each other. Where the parents were married to each other, both have “parental responsibility” for their children. An unmarried father can acquire “parental responsibility” for his children either through being  named on the birth certificate or through agreement with the mother under a parental responsibility agreement registered with the court, or through a court order.


The other orders a court can make are:

  • residence, i.e. a decision on who the child should live with,

  • contact, a decision on how much time the other parent should be able to spend with their child or children.

  • Prohibited steps an order to prevent something e.g. the child being taken out of the country

  • Specific Issue e.g the religious upbringing or education of the child.

  • The court will only make an order when it would be better for the child than making no order at all (the no order principle) and only after considering the factors set out below.


Q : How do I complain about the service received?


A : We are committed to providing high quality legal advice and client care. If you have any concerns in respect of the way in which your case has been handled or about our bill, we would encourage you, in the first instance, to raise it with the fee earner who has conduct of your case. If you are not satisfied with the fee earner’s response, we would urge you to contact Jan-Louise Burrows, who is responsible for client care, on jane-louise@fullersfamilylaw.com or by telephone or post. Copies of our Complaints Handling Policy and Complaints Handling Procedure are available on request.


If you are not satisfied with our handling of your complaint you can ask the Legal Ombudsman at PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton WV1 9WJ; email enquiries@legalombudsman.org.uk or telephone 0300 555 0333 to consider the complaint. Time limits apply in that from 1 February 2013, the Legal Ombudsman requires the following to be satisfied before they will accept your complaint; that your complaint is brought to them no later than 6 years from when the act/omission occurred or 3 years from when you should have known about the complaint. However, the changes are being introduced gradually and the Ombudsman will not accept complaints where the date or act of awareness is prior to 6 October 2010.  Their website is: www.legalombudsman.org.uk


We comply with the Provision of Service Regulations 2009 by displaying the required details of our Professional Indemnity Insurance in our Reception area.


Solicitors must comply with the Solicitors Code of Conduct 2011. An English version is available at http://sra.org.uk/solicitors/handbook/code/content.page  


For a professional yet friendly approach call us or use our online form to arrange your free  initial consultation with a Specialist Family Lawyer.







Website photograph Website photograph Website photograph Website photograph Website photograph Website photograph Website photograph colab-family-law

Martin Fuller

Martin Fuller

Martin Fuller

Martin Fuller


Accredited The Law SocietyFamily Law logo Resolution Mediator logo Resolution Specialist logo Community Legal Service logo Coffee cups Fullers 94__420x300_resolution-logo Fullers Lexcel-Accredited-reversed-+-tick faq